Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Women in the Church: Addendum

Here are some articles/ books concerning various aspects of the role of women in the church that I have been reading to better prepare myself for the discussion in our Sunday School class that I thought you would enjoy reading for yourselves:

1. The Order of Creation by R.C. Sproul

2. Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by (specifically Chapter 5: Head Coverings, Prophesies and the Trinity: I Corinthians 11:2-16 by Thomas R. Schreiner and Chapter 9:What Does It Mean Not to Teach or Have Authority Over Men?: I Timothy 2:11-15 by Douglas Moo)

3. An Examination of the Seven Pillars on Which the Case for the Permanent Subordination of Women Stands by Kevin Giles

4. “Because of the Angels”: Unveiling Paul’s Anthropology in I Corinthians 11 by Jason David BeDuhn (I was able to access this article via JStor which Frodo was able to access me through his grad school account; I have link to the abstract of the article here, but you may be able to access the article through your library’s online library access if they have a JStor account)

5. On Slippery Slopes, the Blogosphere, and (oh, yes) Women: The Place of Women in the Redemptive Community by Susan Wise Bauer (this is a review of John Stackhouse’s book Finally Feminist which I have not yet read but am looking forward to reading when I get the opportunity)

6. a ‘virtual discussion’ between Susan Wise Bauer and Rick Phillips in the form of a series of blog entries

a. Lecturing, paneling, and parties (SWB)

b. Ref21, Books & Culture, and the Feminist Slippery Slope (RP)

c. Susan Wise Bauer Guest Post (SWB)

7. Women Theologians: A Spiritual Goldmine for the Church by Carolyn Curtis James

8. The Westminster Confession of Faith (specifically Chapter I Section VI)

I hope to have this week's discussion installment up in the next day or two. In the meantime, happy reading!

No comments: