Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Literary Euphoria

For literary-ADD suffering, bibliophiles like me, there is nothing better than when the library calls and tells you that the book you have been waiting for is ready to be picked up.... well, there's one thing. Buying a new book that you get to keep for your very own. Today, I experienced both.

Over a month ago, I put the newest Thomas Sowell book (Black Rednecks and White Liberals) on hold at the library. My heart sank when I discovered that I was third in queue. (When I discover the existence of a new book that I want to read, I want to read it now. Apparently, there are at least two other people in our library system that feel the same way. ) Today, Wednesday is "library day", I went online to renew library books and see what had to go back so I could make a list of books, movies, audio books, and music for the kids to collect and put into the library bag. (This is a much-anticipated, inexpensive, weekly game in our home!) And there it was in black and white... it was ready. I could hardly wait to get to the library.

Back to yesterday, where, after donning my Berkenstocks that I had just rescued from winter storage, I sat down to check out another homeschool blog, Stepping Heavenward. There I read part one of her review of a new book out called Crunchy Cons: How Berkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party). How could I not read this book?! I started to order it from Amazon.com, but I couldn't wait a whole week, and since I was going out to Wally World later that night anyway, I figured I could pick it up there... they didn't have it. So, on the way to the library today, I realize that I have to pick up a baby gift for the couple I teach natural childbirth classes to (really... how could I not read this book?!), and decided that a book would be a good gift. And while I was there, I could just see if they had a copy of Crunchy Cons in stock. They did!

Thus.... literary euphoria! I now have two great (new) books to read (not to mention the stack of books I am in the midst of reading). Now, which to read first...

I'll decide after wrapping the baby books I got.... and taking the stickers off the copies I bought for Quarto. You gotta start 'em young!

No comments: