Saturday, November 18, 2006

Words, Words, Words

I saw this on a new blog I discovered today and thought it was a fun exercise. And to be perfectly honest, Frodo and I discuss this frequently (odd, maybe, but true), so I already have some answers for these mentally prepared.

BTW, the blog I saw this on was Semicolon, and I recommend that you check out thier weekly Saturday Review of Books.

Words that always look misspelled to me:
their
conscience (also reminds me of a movie line)
asinine
its (I always want to put in an apostrophe)

congratulations (I blame Hallmark for this... conGRADulations, ugh)
surprize/ surprise (both are correct but neither looks right)

Words I enjoy saying:
predicate

linoleum (Sesame Street reference)
redemption

Words I enjoy hearing:
Mom!
I love you
Hey, Sweetie
bride
Christmas

homemade
book sale

Abbreviations I dislike:
lbs. (lub?)
oz. (makes me think of wizards... small ones)

X-mas
.org (most people sound like they are trying not to barf when they say this)

Abbreviations I like:
PPD (postage paid)

Proper nouns I enjoy:
Mrs. Frodo (I still smile when I am addressed by my married name)
Bilbo Baggins
Lake Wobegon
Scotland

Words I associate with happiness:
children
autumn
books
library
Christmas
church

Words I always misspell:
asinine

their
misspell (ironic, isn't it?)

Words I enjoy spelling correctly, every time:
congratulations
conscience
Wednesday

Words that, though I love their meaning, I’m too embarrassed to say out loud:
Asperger's

Words I can never remember the meaning of no matter how many times I look them up:
persona non grata (I know that this is technically a phrase, but I always think it should mean "thankless person" or "missing person")

inflammable (shouldn't this be the opposite of flammable; why not just say flammable and stop confusing me?!)

Words that sound like what they mean:
phlegm
spastic
glutton

soliloquy
protuberance

Words that sound like something other than what they mean:
this happens to me more with names than with words


What are some of your favorite words? Your least favorite?

No comments: