Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ron Paul is Running for President

My fellow Gettysburg College graduate announced his formation of a presidential exploratory committee on Thursday. This is not completely new territory for Dr. Paul. In 1988, he was the Libertarian Presidential candidate. This time, however, he is running as a Republican.

From what I know of Dr. Paul, I like his political theory. This quote from his website, for example, stuck out to me and seems to encapsulate his philosophy:

For Rep. Paul, each piece of legislation must be examined for its constitutionality; that is, on the basis of whether or not the US Constitution allows the Congress or the Federal Government to engage in the actions described by the proposed legislation. If the Constitution does not allow it, then it must be opposed.

To see his voting record, look here. To read his bio and learn more about his political philosophy, look here. I will be listening closely in the next few months as Dr. Paul speaks more about his philosophy and what he feels his role as President would look like. The election is almost two years away, so I defenitely have time! (Is it just me, or does it seem like candidate announcements are coming out really early for 2008?)

Who knows, I may even have to register as a Republican long enough to vote for him in the primary.

No comments: