Monday, April 02, 2007

Poem - Forgetfulness by Billy Collins

If you have never read the poetry of Billy Collins, I highly recommend it. I have found it to be highly evocative of emotion, thought, scent, feel, taste... evocative of experience, of life. I will post more of his poetry throughout the month.

The following poem, Forgetfulness, brings you to a point of realizing that there is something you have forgotten, but you can't quite put your finger on what it could be even though you can almost taste it, it's so close. It also allows me a small glimpse into the mind of my grandmother who is suffering from Alzheimer's. That sense of frustration that you know you know something, but you also know that you've forgotten it and can do nothing to get it back. It must choose to return on its own, and the fear that it may choose to never return.

The poem is read by the author and beautifully animated by Julian Grey of Head Gear Animation.

Forgetfulness by Billy Collins



No comments: