Thursday, March 01, 2007

Delicious Cough Suppressant

I wish I had heard about this sooner. I could have used it. Apparently, dark chocolate is an effective cough suppressant. In a study published in The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Journal in February 2005, theobromine, a component of chocolate, was 33% more effective at controlling coughs than codeine and had no side effects. Two ounces of dark chocolate (which has a much higher concentration of theobromine than milk chocolate) provides the necessary amount of theobromine for 4 hours of relief in adults. One once of dark chocolate would be sufficient for children.

I am definitely trying this the next time the cold-from-Satan-himself virus attempts to rear its ugly head. At best, it works. At worst, I'm mother of the year... and get to eat chocolate. ("No, no. I have to eat it. Doctor's orders.") Does life get any sweeter than that?

1 comment:

Occidental Girl said...

This is the best thing I've read all day!

Of course, it's morning yet, but I am sure it will hold true all day.

Dark chocolate for the cough; how about red wine for the sleep enhancement, maybe?