Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Lesson in Intolerance

Get out the duct tape. Seriously. Your head might explode.

The whole "tolerance/ PC" thing grates against my nerves for the very reason that many (dare I say, most) preachers of "tolerance" are really preaching intolerance and conformation to their world view over the views of others. They don't want tolerance, they want submission.

A "discussion" on the ABC show The View this morning illustrated this perfectly. No, I don't watch this show... my head would have exploded long ago. I heard the audio on Glenn Beck this morning while eating breakfast. I almost vomited. Speaking of which, put down all beverages and maybe take some peremptory antacid before clicking the link below. The lack of respect that was shown was unbelievable.

Here is an article that describes the encounter and includes a transcript and links to the video in three different formats. I don't recommend reading the transcript, just click on one of the links to watch the video yourself. (Primary sources are always better than interpretations... even mine.)

I showed the video clip to Primo, who is ten. Before I showed it to her, I told her that I knew she wouldn't understand most of what they were talking about but that I wanted her to watch and listen to how the women spoke to and treated each other. Then I hit the play button and let her watch. When she was done, I asked, "So, what did you think?"

"Well the larger woman wouldn't let the woman with yellow hair talk. Then she kept telling the woman with the yellow hair to ask a question, but she was trying to ask the question. The big woman just wouldn't let her. She's not very nice."

A ten-year-old could see it. Respect is respect. Just because you disagree with someone and you believe that you are right and the other is wrong doesn't give you the right to talk all over them then pretend that you understand their opinion. It doesn't show intelligence. It shows a lack of respect, intolerance, and an uneasiness with your own opinion.

Glad I got that off my chest. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. Now would be a good time to think about which Logic curriculum I want to begin with Primo next year.



No comments: